Arabic Medical Interpreter - Center for International and Specialized Healthcare Services
Position: Arabic Medical Interpreter
Standard Hours: 40
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Recruiting Department: MGH Interpreter Services
Under the direction of both the Director for Interpreter Services and the Program Manager for the Center for International and Specialized Healthcare Services (CISS), the incumbent serves as an Arabic Medical Interpreter for patients and staff in the CISS. The Arabic Medical Interpreter relays information accurately and completely between speakers of two different languages in compliance with all office and hospital policies and procedures, particularly relating to patient confidentiality and informed consent, the National Standards of Practice and Interpreter Code of Ethics.
This full-time Arabic Medical Interpreter will provide interpreter services for patients in the Center for International and Specialized Healthcare Services and throughout the MGH.
- Provides accurate and skilled interpretations to help facilitate successful delivery of services to non-English speaking consumers. Explains MGH resources, office protocols, and interpreter role to clinicians and patients; makes appropriate referrals; serves as a resource to both patients and providers to contribute to successful outcomes. Performs duties in a spirit of teamwork and cooperation. Adhere to hospital policies on customer relations and hospitality. Understands the hospital’s system of service delivery.
- Provides short written translations as required in patient encounters such as filling out forms, medical instructions, medication schedules and discharge instructions. Provides administrative written translations such as letters to patients, patient education materials, and other documents.
- Serves as a mentor to medical interpreting students.
- Tracks and documents encounters on the interpreters scheduling system. Assists with phones intakes, engages in general troubleshooting. Works and follows through with special projects as assigned.
- Provides interpretation under various circumstances including face-to-face and phone interpretation and written translations.
- Fluency in Arabic and English – both oral and written
- Certified Medical Interpreter (CMI) or Certified Health Interpreter (CHI) credentials required
- Minimum of 40-hr training in medical interpretation required
- 1 to 2 years of experience in a healthcare setting as a medical interpreter with strong medical vocabulary
- Bachelor’s Degree in any area related to science or human services preferred
- High level of customer service and a positive approach
- Familiar with diversity of cultural/socio-economic backgrounds
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills
- Knowledge of computer systems
Company: Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH)
Assignment Date: 2020-02-17
Location: MGH Main Campus 55 Fruit Street Boston 02114