Per Diem Spanish Medical Interpreter for Boston Children’s Hospital
Patient Services-Interpreter Services
At Boston Children’s Hospital, the quality of our care – and our inclusive hospital working environment – lies in the diversity of our people. With patients from local communities and 160 countries around the world, we’re committed to reflecting the spectrum of their cultures, while opening doors of opportunity for our team. Here, different talents pursue common goals. Voices are heard and ideas are shared. Join us, and discover how your unique contributions can change lives. Yours included.
This Spanish Medical Interpreter (Per Diem) will be responsible for:
- Interpreting for patients and families with limited or no English language proficiency in their interactions with care providers and other hospital personnel
- Recognizing cultural differences between families and providers. Facilitating communication and bridging cultural gaps
- Providing general, non-technical information to allow patients to navigate the health care system
- Sight translates/translates forms such as medical intake forms or instructions in the presence of the provider, according to the department’s practice. Translations should be no longer than two paragraphs or one page maximum. Otherwise, they will be outsourced to BCH vendors
- Maintaining competency through independent study, participation in professional conferences and other continuing education programs
- Abiding by the professional code of ethics and standards of practice
- Complying with all hospital policies and department administrative requirements, including data collection processes
- Applying critical thinking, communication skills, and has a global grasp of the situation, coupled with linguistic skills acquired through a process of integrating formal and experiential knowledge
- Assisting patients in scheduling appointments. Translating other hospital literature for patients as schedule permits
- Maintaining computerized records of daily activities, including diary of daily patient transactions and payroll timekeeping
To qualify, you must have:
- A High School diploma / GED required. Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Written and verbal fluency in both English and language of specific population(s) served
- Completion of a Medical Interpreter Training Course is strongly preferred (typically a 40 or 60 hour course)
- A National Certification in Medical Interpreting is preferred
- Successful passing of Boston Children’s Hospital Interpreter Services technical evaluation
Please note: During a public health emergency, individuals in this role may be expected to take on additional duties to respond to organizational needs.
Boston Children’s Hospital requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and Flu, (unless you are eligible for a medical or religious exemption).
Boston Children’s Hospital is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
Company: Boston Children’s Hospital
Assignment Date: 02/18/2022
Job Description: 62014BR, Patient Services-Interpreter Services