Cape Verdean Creole Medical Interpreter
Regular, Temporary, Per Diem: Per Diem
Standard Hours per Week: 1
Office/Site Location: Waltham
Job Category: Allied Health and Technical
Job Posting Description
At Boston Children’s Hospital, the quality of our care – and our inclusive hospital working environment – lies in the diversity of our people. With patients from local communities and 160 countries around the world, we’re committed to reflecting the spectrum of their cultures, while opening doors of opportunity for our team. Here, different talents pursue common goals. Voices are heard and ideas are shared. Join us, and discover how your unique contributions can change lives. Yours included.
This Cape Verdean Interpreter - Per Diem will be responsible for:
- Interpreting for patients/families with limited or no English language proficiency, in their interactions with health care providers and other hospital personnel. This includes complex and/or sensitive encounters, surgical and anesthesia consents, diagnoses, treatment plans, medical histories, social and psychological assessments, among others
- Assisting patients in scheduling appointments, resolving billing problems and other related matters
- Identifying, assessing and facilitating the understanding of cultural differences impacting communication
- Providing interpreting coverage in person, via video and phone, according to the needs and criteria established by the hospital and departmental policies and instructions
- Translating instructions of medical discharges and other medical texts required for direct care
- Daily entering of the information required for statistical purposes, in the computerized system of the department
- Working as an enthusiastic and committed team member and collaborating with other interpreters and hospital staff
To qualify, you must have:
- A high school or GED diploma required
- Completion of a Medical Interpreter Training Course is required (typically a 40 or 60 hour course)
- Written and verbal fluency in both English and language of specific population(s) served
- Strong communication skills in order to effectively deal with conflicting views or issues and mediate fair solutions, or well‑developed writing skills
- Fully functional and competent, and performing at a high level of reliability in all duties
- Certification as a Medical Interpreter from the IMIA (International Medical Interpreter Association) through the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters or CCHI (Certification Commission for Health Care Interpreters) is preferred
- The ability to travel to satellite locations
Location: Servicing our south shore and Waltham locations.
Please note: During a public health emergency, individuals in this role may be expected to take on additional duties to respond to organizational needs.
This position is eligible for an Employee Referral Bonus.
Boston Children’s Hospital is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
Language: Cape Verdean Creole
Company: Boston Children's Hospital
Contact Person: Ashley Fullard
Assignment Date: 10/19/2021
Location: 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston MA 02114