Per Diem Russian Medical Interpreter for Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Department Description: Russian preferred Language - Medical Interpreter. Job requirements as listed in Job Description. Fluency in Russian and English required. Formal medical interpreter training and/or certification strongly preferred.
Interpreters abide by a set of Standards of Practice and are trained in medical terminology. BIDMC interpreters are committed to maintaining and improving their skills through various professional development opportunities within the medical interpreting profession and in the medical center itself. The art of medical interpretation requires an understanding of anatomy and physiology, linguistic competency, and interpersonal skills. The department collaborates with the BIDMC Ethics Support Service and many other clinics to address, in depth, the complexities that arise as part of the work. Interpreters respect patient confidentiality, are committed to providing the best in patient care in the all clinical environments including outpatient, inpatient, Emergency, and procedural areas, and work closely with the medical teams with the goal of maintaining patient safety.
This is a per diem position with no set schedule and availability strongly preferred Monday to Friday during business hours.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 26542BR
Apply online here >>>
Job Summary: The Interpreter Per Diem reports to the Supervisor of Interpreter Services. Assists Interpreter Services in enabling Medical Center Staff to better meet the needs of non-English speaking in-patients, out-patients and employees; e.g., interpretation between health care providers and patients, including translating consent forms and other written materials for procedures and other related information; interprets during procedures performed.
- Relays patient-provider communications that require interpretation or translation by phone, voice-mail, page, and letter. Works both independently and as a member of a large and growing team of interpreters. Explains cultural differences, practices and beliefs to healthcare providers and patient when appropriate.
- Keeps accurate statistical data and submits them to the manager of Interpreter Services as required.
- Maintains and improves expertise through appropriate continuing education. Participates in training and informational sessions as they become available and as required by manager.
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Fluency in English and foreign language or ASL.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Formal medical interpreter training and completed certificate program.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
Company: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Location: 330 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215