Per Diem (Cantonese/Mandarin) Chinese Medical Interpreter - South Shore
Patient Services-Interpreter Services
Status: Per Diem
Office/Site Location: Weymouth
Job Posting Description
At Boston Children’s Hospital, success is measured in patients treated, parents comforted and teams taught. It’s in discoveries made, processes perfected, and technology advanced. In major medical breakthroughs and small acts of kindness. And in colleagues who have your back and patients who have your heart. As a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, our reach is global and our impact is profound. Join our acclaimed Interpreting Department and discover how your talents can change lives. Yours included.
The Per Diem Interpreter will be responsible for:
- Interpreting for patients/families with limited or no English language proficiency, in their interactions with health care providers and other hospital personnel. This includes complex and/or sensitive encounters, surgical and anesthesia consents, diagnoses, treatment plans, medical histories, social and psychological assessments, among others
- Assisting patients in scheduling appointments, resolving billing problems and other related matters.
- Identifying, assessing and facilitating the understanding of cultural differences impacting communication.
- Providing interpreting coverage in person, via video and phone, according to the needs and criteria established by the hospital and departmental policies and instructions.
- Translating instructions of medical discharges and other medical texts required for direct care.
- Daily entering of the information required for statistical purposes, in the computerized system of the department.
- Working as an enthusiastic and committed team member and collaborating with other interpreters and hospital staff.
To qualify, you must have:
- A high school or GED diploma. An Associate, other two year degree or higher level of education is preferred.
- Written and verbal fluency in both English and language of specific population(s) served.
- Strong communication skills in order to effectively deal with conflicting views or issues and mediate fair solutions, or well‑developed writing skills.
- 40 hour Medical Interpreter Training Course is strongly preferred.
- Certification as a Medical Interpreter from the IMIA (International Medical Interpreter Association) through the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters or CCHI (Certification Commission for Health Care Interpreters) is strongly preferred.
- Must be able to at least work in Weymouth. Ability to work in Dartmouth, Brockton, and Waltham are a huge plus.
Company: Boston Children's Physicians Weymouth
Phone: (781) 216-3800
Assignment Date: 2019-01-03
Location: 541 Main St, Weymouth, MA 02190