Per Diem Cape Verde / Portuguese Medical Interpreter for Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Department Description: Cape Verdean and Portuguese preferred Language -- Medical Interpreter. Job requirements as listed in Job Description. Fluency in Cape Verdean and Portuguese and English required. Formal medical interpreter training and/or certification strongly preferred.
Interpreters abide by a set of Standards of Practice and are trained in medical terminology. BIDMC interpreters are committed to maintaining and improving their skills through various professional development opportunities within the medical interpreting profession and in the medical center itself. The art of medical interpretation requires an understanding of anatomy and physiology, linguistic competency, and interpersonal skills. The department collaborates with the BIDMC Ethics Support Service and many other clinics to address, in depth, the complexities that arise as part of the work. Interpreters respect patient confidentiality, are committed to providing the best in patient care in the all clinical environments including outpatient, inpatient, Emergency, and procedural areas, and work closely with the medical teams with the goal of maintaining patient safety.
This is a per diem position with no set schedule and availability strongly preferred Monday to Friday during business hours.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 27985BR
Job Summary: Interprets and translates services for limited-English speaking patients and employees at Beth Israel Deaconess in fulfillment of BI-Deaconess' commitment to serve its employees and the community at large.
- Enables Medical Center Staff to better meet the needs of limited-English speaking patients and employees; e.g., interpretation between health care providers and patients, including translating consent forms and other written materials as needed; interprets during procedures performed.
- Responsible for interpreting for the clinical volume that presents during the shift along with any administrative requirements without limitation.
- Responds to individuals and departments in a timely and respectful manner and demonstrates a team approach.
- Relays patient-provider communications requiring interpretation in person, via phone, video and/or letter. Provides assistance, as needed, with patient registration, reminder and cancellation calls, provider calls and other communications as requested.
- Keeps accurate statistical data as required.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Satisfactory fluency in English and target language(s) at a level that ensures accurate and understandable interpretation. Satisfactory proficiency in medical terminology (i.e., basic anatomy, physiology and diagnostic procedures and treatments) at a level that ensures accurate interpretation.
- Interpreters are expected to wear, when appropriate/required, protective equipment including lead aprons, scrubs for the O.R. and other equipment mentioned under Social/Environmental Requirements.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Medical interpreter training strongly preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience.
- National Certification strongly preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal: Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
Language: Portuguese / Cape Verde
Company: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Phone: (617) 667-7000
Location: 330 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215