Legal and Court Interpreter Certificate Training Program in Springfield, MA
administered by Language Connections in collaboration with In First Person Interpreting LLC
We are accepting applications for our upcoming 45 hour 7-week Legal and Court Interpreter Certificate Training Course that starts in Springfield, MA on March 24, 2018 and ends on May 5, 2018.
This Legal and Court Interpreter Certificate Training Program was developed to enable participants to become competent interpreters working in the legal field and in Massachusetts and Connecticut court systems.
The course introduces participants to legal and court interpreter roles and skills, interpreter ethics, and legal and court terminology in both English and the target language. Students will gain an understanding of the Massachusetts and Connecticut legal systems and take a close look at the Standards and Procedures for Court Interpreters, the document which regulates professional court interpreting.
Language coaching and role-plays in the target language are offered by experienced interpreters who are native speakers of the target language.
The Legal and Court Interpreter Certificate Training course Springfield, MA is offered in Spanish and Portuguese.
TOTAL COST OF THE PROGRAM:
$980 ($50 registration fee and $930 course fee)
The course will meet once a week every Saturday:
10:30 am - 5:00 pm
(1st class: 9:30 am - 5:00 pm)
TRAINING LOCATION (subject to change):
UMass Center at Springfield
1500 Main St
Springfield, MA 01103
See Location Details >>>
See Lead Trainer's Bio Page >>>
Who should attend this Legal and Court Interpreter Certificate training?
- Bilingual individuals seeking employment in the legal field or in court systems;
- Bilingual individuals seeking their first professional interpreting certificate;
- Interpreters and translators currently employed in the legal field or court systems;
- Independent interpreters;
- Interpreters with other interpreting credentials, such as those who have completed the Medical Interpreter Certificate Program or the Community Interpreter Certificate Program;
- Paralegals, administrative assistants, front office staff, receptionists, social workers, etc. who are bilingual.
Court and Legal Interpreter Certificate Training Program covers:
The Court & Legal Interpreter Certificate Training Course concludes with a written test covering legal knowledge, interpreting protocols, and essential terminology, as well as an oral exam to evaluate interpreting ability. Students must attain a score of 75% or better on both exams in order to receive a certificate.
- Ethics of Interpreting
- Legal interpreting terminology in English and the target language
- Massachusetts and Connecticut legal systems
- Standards and Procedures for Court Interpreters
- Analysis of the legal environment and legal issues
- Development of consecutive interpreting skills
- Development of simultaneous interpreting skills
- Understanding the cultural aspects of bilingual communities.
Court & Legal Interpreter Certificate Training Course prerequisites:
1) Fluency in English and another language
By "Fluency" we mean the ability to speak, understand, read, and write. A legal interpreter needs to be able to understand and speak both the high register (formal, complex, sophisticated vocabulary) and low register (informal, slang, everyday vocabulary) of their working languages. Without this, it is impossible for a legal interpreter to interpret correctly. Fluency will be evaluated prior to admission into the program.
2) An email address, the capacity to work with Microsoft Word and Excel, and familiarity with search engines like Google, or at least the willingness to learn how to deal with these things. Students will also need to be able to access www.soundcloud.com, in order to practice interpreting during the week, and be prepared to devote at least a couple of hours a week outside of class time to written assignments and practice.
If you have any questions about our Legal and Court Interpreter Certificate Training Program please contact:
Phone: (617) 277-1990