Cape Verde Creole / Portuguese Medical Interpreter Needed for Boston Children’s Hospital - Per Diem
Patient Services-Interpreter Services
The Per Diem Interpreter will be responsible for:
- Interpreting for patients/families with limited or no English language proficiency, in their interactions with health care providers and other hospital personnel. This includes complex and/or sensitive encounters, surgical and anesthesia consents, diagnoses, treatment plans, medical histories, social and psychological assessments, among others
- Assisting patients in scheduling appointments, resolving billing problems and other related matters.
- Identifying, assessing and facilitating the understanding of cultural differences impacting communication.
- Providing interpreting coverage in person, via video and phone, according to the needs and criteria established by the hospital and departmental policies and instructions.
- Translating instructions of medical discharges and other medical texts required for direct care.
- Daily entering of the information required for statistical purposes, in the computerized system of the department.
- Working as an enthusiastic and committed team member and collaborating with other interpreters and hospital staff.
Company: Boston Children’s Hospital - South Shore
Assignment Date: 2018-04-24
Location: South Shore
Job Description: To qualify, you must have: • A high school level of education and two to three years’ of closely related experience (preferred). • The analytical skills to resolve problems that require the use of basic scientific, mathematical, or technical principles. • The ability to travel to satellite locations • Communication skills in order to effectively deal with conflicting views or issues and mediate fair solutions, or well developed writing skills. • Written and verbal fluency in both English and language of specific populations served. • Medical Interpreter 60 hour Certification • National certification (from the Certification Commission for Health Care Interpreters-CCHI or the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters-NBCMI) strongly preferred. • Bachelors Degree preferred.